The Bridgewater Chapel

 
Back to Church Plan....Churchmap.html

The Bridgewater Chapel was originally built as a mausoleum for the Bridgewater family from Ashridge House, and entered by the door in the south wall of the chancel.  A new arch was constructed in the alterations in 1896 to join the chapel to the south aisle and it became to be used as a vestry, reverting to a chapel in 1963 when the new vestry block was constructed.   It contains many monuments to the Bridgewater family, not least the 3rd Duke – The Father of Inland Navigation.